Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Mother Knows Best

Have you seen Tangled?

I have, like, a million times. That is what happens when you have a girly girl.

And since I have seen it a million times I have had time to ponder the underlying meanings and overwhelming symbolism and the thematic nature of it all. And I have to say...

Mother Gothel gets a bad wrap.

Mother Gothel and Rapunzel

I mean, sure, I guess it is bad form to steal a baby just because the baby's magic hair will keep you young forever,

but, you have to give her credit. She keeps Rapunzel locked up in the tower for 18 years to keep her out of harms way. She is right. The world is a dangerous place. People will take advantage of you and there is that pesky Plague. What about the poison ivy? The quick sand? It IS better to keep them locked away.

She had a point, right? Right?!?

I have had time to ponder all this because, you see, my dear sweet Caroline made a very big step into the world today.

She started Kindergarten.

Oh how I wish I could just lock her in a tower and teach her all the things she needs to know and protect her from every bad thing that COULD happen to her. How I wish I could guarantee that she would never be hurt, or sad, or disappointed.

But I can't.

What I can do is create a safe haven for her. A place that she can return to over and over for reassurance, guidance and love when the world is too much for her. A place that will always be warm and inviting and constant when the world is not. I can create that place right here in my home. A home base where she can recharge, get back out there and thrive.

And if that home is way up high and really hard for any boys to find, let alone reach it, that would be ok too.


6 comments:

Natalie said...

Well said Toni. Well said.

Andrea said...

Your new nickname is Mother Gothel. :)

Tina said...

I feel the same way!!!!! Cloey had so many proposals during Kindergarten. I was like, seriously? Boys stay away for at least 15 more years!!! Yeesh!! I can't believe Jacob and Caroline are only like a month a part and he doesn't start till next year!
How fun to have a Kindergartner. Yay!!

Sidsie and Derek said...

Kindergarten already? Kids grow up so fast.

Sawyers Family said...

I feel this exact same way with Isaac. And of course, Maylee. I wish there was a way they could live in a bubble and be protected from everything in this world. Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way!

Greg and Nicolle said...

Love this!