Sunday, May 31, 2009

What's gonna work...TEAMWORK!!!

Kevin and I love our little girl. She makes us laugh, loves us back and is just all around awesome. She is getting so big these days. She is potty trained and insists that she does things "by myself." We love watching her gain confidence and love to help her develop her own strengths. All in all, we love everything about her, except...her choice in cartoons. Let me explain...
We don't let Caroline watch a lot of TV, but after she has her nap (or quite time these days) she can watch a movie, Finding Nemo ("Fishies"), Little Mermaid ("Ariel"), etc. After she gets her jammies on we let her watch one more cartoon before bed. This isn't everyday, but she has her favorites. One night while Kevin and I were suffering through "The Wonder Pets Save the Panda" he looks over at me and says quietly enough that she can't hear, "I hate this show." We began discussing which ones we hated and which ones were ok. We came to the following conclusion: Kevin detests Dora. Her voice is annoying and the story is ridiculous. He doesn't mind SpongeBob because some parts are funny to us. He hates The Wonder Pets because they sing everything. I decided that I can't bear Wow Wow Wubbzy for reasons I can't explain. You just have to watch it to understand. I actually love Cars. It has Paul Newman (who could just read the phone book and I would watch. Miss him already), Good music, cute story line and amazing graphics. Caroline is hooked on it. We have decided to purchase it on DVD for our plane ride to Utah this summer. I actually don't mind watching that one. The interesting thing is how different cartoons are from when we were kids. I remember watching Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck on Saturday morning. I never really liked Scooby Doo but I loved Thundercats. In fact, my brother, sister, uncle (he was our age) and I used to play Thundercats after school. I was Cheetara. I was really fast.
So now I throw the questions to you, Dear Internet, which cartoons that your kids watch do you suffer through? Which ones do you actually like? Which cartoons did you used to watch when you were younger? Leave a comment and share the fun!

6 comments:

Rebecca said...

I watched the smurfs. One time when I was five I had a nightmare that gargole (spelling?) was chasing me, very scary. Ariana is still too young for any sort of tv, thank goodness. Hope you guys are doing well!

Afton's mommy said...

I am right behind you in the "I detest Wow Wow Wubzzy" line! That show irritates the pure crap out of me, I think it looks like it was drawn my the same guy who designed Atari games. And I can't stand Dora either - I think she's a bit of a dictator, she's constantly yelling at me to open her stupid backpack and get her map for her - lazy. I do like the Wonder Pets - but it's the songs I enjoy, not the actual storyline, and we LOVE The Backyardigans - for the same reason. We have recently stumbled across The Jumparounds...an incredibly irritating teen "band", but the lyrics to the songs are positive ("Friends Give Friends a Hand") and Afton LOVES them - so we watch the videos over, and over, and over again online. (We don't have cable, which has been a blessing!) She is even trying to memorize some of the choreography...it is too cute to watch! I'll have to video it and put it on my blog for the world to see...if I ever get around to blogging again.

shelley said...

i also watched the smurfs, thundercats, and also the snorks.

shaelyn has never seen dora, but unfortunately she knows who she is b/c her aunt sent her some dora books. but i can't STAND the way she yells and over emphasizes everything she says. since we don't have cable, it's not an option for shaelyn, thank goodness!

shaelyn loves curious george, and i do too. my nephew loves the backyardigans. i HATE sid the science kid on pbs. oh, and of course, shaelyn LOVES super why!!

ansons said...

At our house the Backyardigans are a favorite and the girls like Blue's Clues. Joseph and I actually like it too. The songs are pretty catchy. I HATE Dragontales on PBS, but it does buy me time when Brook and Ally are entranced. I think the stories are dumb and the two-headed dragon thing bugs me big time. It makes me claustrophobic. Joseph loved Transformers as a kid. I think my all time favorite was G Force. Kev knows what I'm talking about.

Chris Garcia said...

We used to watch My Little Ponies and the Smurfs. In fact, Laura, Kevin and I used to play Smurts. Kevin was Gargamel and I had a Strawberry Shortcake cat that was Azrael. Laura and I were smurfs and we'd try to kidnap Azrael or something. I just remember us trying to sneak up on Kevin while he would lay on the couch and pretend to be sleeping... fun times!

As far as the cartoon we watch now, does Family Guy count? :)

Kathy said...

All time favorite at our house is Backyardigans. We have almost every episode saved on out DVR.
Our new favorite is Max and Ruby, pretty cute, but can be a little annoying. My kids go through phases of what they like to watch. Although when it's nice enough to be outside, we don't watch TV much.
I didn't have TV growing up, but I watched Scooby Doo at a neighbors and got nightmares!