Sunday, May 17, 2009

My Inner Ina...

Kevin and I have been married for 9 years (10 years in Sept.) and over the past 9 years we have figured out this whole gift giving mess. When we were first married we couldn't afford anything so we usually got some really great cards and notes. (I still have all mine.) Gradually we moved into the "Double Income, No Kids" phase of gift giving where we would give each other nice gifts without worrying too much about how much it cost. Then Kevin went back to school and it was back to the "make it affordable and make it count" phase. During this time we really dug deep and not only got thoughtful gifts but got creative in making them and giving them. Even though he is done with school we have really taken this kind of gift-giving philosophy to heart. We realized that we don't have to give random, meaningless things because it defeats the purpose, but we still think that gifts should be a want and not a need item. (Thanks hon, for this wonderful laundry basket. I've had my eye on it at Wal-mart for awhile. How did you know?) Having said all that let me explain what Kevin got me for my birthday in March...

There is an amazing restaurant in Atlanta called "The Flying Biscuit". We went a few months after we moved there after a suggestion from a classmate and loved it. Only problem was Caroline was not happy and we had to shovel our wonderful, delicious, Southern food fast. When Kevin and I went back to Atlanta to pack up sans Munchkin, guess where we went for breakfast? The Flying Biscuits they bake daily are to die for and I really could have eaten those for the meal. We left the restaurant stuffed; not a good idea when you have lots of projects to work on. What does that have to do with my birthday? Well, my dear, sweet, thoughtful husband did some research and ordered the "Flying Biscuit Cookbook" for me!!!!!! I have really been getting more into cooking and now watch Food Network religiously so he knew how perfect this gift was for me. I was blown away. The interesting part is this is the only cookbook that has the famous Flying Biscuit recipe. If you buy the cookbook at the restaurant it is from the new owner and doesn't have a lot of their older traditional recipes. The amazing thing is that Kevin had to hunt this book down on E-bay and had it shipped for my birthday. He is so good to me. How did I thank him?

Biscuits!!!! They are "slap-your mama" good!!



I don't even remember how many I ate as soon as they came out of the oven. These biscuits in turn gave me the idea to make freezer jam. It was so much fun trying these recipes. I often think of my great-grandma Ruby while I am cooking. She passed away when I was 6 years old but people still talk about what a great cook she was. I hope I have her genes and that they are the dominant ones. PS: Thanks babe for the wonderful, thoughtful gift. I love you.

6 comments:

ansons said...

So, I vote that we have Flying Biscuits one morning at the cabin. What do you think?

jax from the harmon squad said...

Isn't it the greatest when husbands pay attention? And just with gifts: I was really upset the other day because our iron had gunk on it and it came off on one of my favorite shirts (luckily, it was just a small part). Today when I went to clean off all that gunk I saw that Rob had already done it. It completely made my day. And Happy Belated Birthday!

Toni said...

Amy- great idea!!!

Amber Lee said...

How sweet! Those are definitely the best kind of gifts! And I want some of those yummy flying biscuits!

shelley said...

look at you. rolling dough and cutting out biscuits. wow!

sad to say that i lived in atl for 3 years and never went to the flying biscuit. i guess i'll just have to taste one of yours...

Amber said...

Hi Toni. Cute blog. We're going to Atlanta this weekend for sure now, so I will have to check out those places you mentioned!