Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Bed Rest Update...

Ok,
So here is the story. When I was 29 weeks along, I had an appointment with my midwife. I explained to her that this baby was really low and I was feeling a little bit of pressure. We decided to do a Fetal fibronectin test which can sort of predict preterm labor. You want a negative test because that means I will not go into labor in the next two weeks. Of course, mine was positive which means there is no guarantee that I won't go into labor in the next two weeks. I went to the hospital and was monitored for a few hours to see if I was having any contractions (I wasn't). I was also given a steroid shot to help develop the babies lungs in case she came early. At that point I was put on a level 2 bed rest which meant I could not lift anything, I could not stand for more than 10 minutes at a time and no travel, all for two weeks. At the following appointment they would do the test again and every appointment after that.
At my 32 week appointment I had the test again and it was negative. That did not mean I was off the hook. I still can't do housework or cook or lift Caroline but I can stand for a little while and go to church and go to Target (but someone has to go with me.) Also, at my appointment I discovered that I am 2 cm and 50% effaced. My midwife told me that is kind of normal for a second baby but it really scares me.
So I am sitting in my Lazy-Boy recliner as I write this and I am feeling this sweet baby move around and stretch. I am nervous about what will happen but I feel so blessed to be healthy enough to be pregnant. Kevin gave me the most beautiful blessing when all of this first happened that was poignant and faith-promoting. I can't wait to meet this sweet girl (who still doesn't have a name) but then again, I can wait a little bit longer.

2 comments:

Sawyers Family said...

Oh My Goodness, Toni! I had no idea! If I were in the NC, I would totally go to Target with you!
I hope everything is still going well and that Baby Walker continues to "cook" a little longer!!

Natalie said...

Stay in there Best. You need at least a few more weeks to ripen. :)